- 6 fresh baby artichokes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 pound penne pasta
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil — or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh tomato — chopped
- 1/2 cup olives — Kalamata
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup feta cheese — optional
1. Cut stems off artichokes. Peel off tough outer leaves to reveal
yellow-green hearts. Cut artichokes into quarters. Combine 1/4 cup
lemon juice with 2 cups water in a medium bowl. Add artichokes to
lemon water and toss to prevent discoloration. Drain. Steam
artichokes until tender, about 20 minutes. chill.
2. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a rapid boil. Add 1
teaspoon salt and penne. Cook penne until al dente, about 10 minutes.
Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. To make salad dressing: combine tomato juice, olive oil, lemon
juice, garlic, parsley, basil, salt and pepper in a food processor or
blender and puree for 30 seconds.
4. Toss together artichokes, penne, capers, olives and feta cheese in
a large bowl salad bowl. Pour dressing over and toss well.