- 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. meaty chicken pieces, skinned
- 3 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 c. chicken broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 c. dry red wine (such as Merlot) or chicken broth (I used broth)
- 2 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 1 1/2
- tsp. dried basil, crushed (I used
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. hot cooked noodles
- 2 tbsp. finely shredded Parmesan chees
- e (I used the kind in a shaker)
Rinse chicken; set aside. In a 3 1/2-4-or 5-quart crockery cooker place mushrooms, onion, and garlic.
Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
In a bowl combine broth, tomato paste, wine or chicken broth, tapioca, dried basil (if using), sugar, salt, and pepper.
Pour over all.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 ½ to 4 hours. If using, stir in fresh basil.
To serve, spoon chicken, mushroom mixture, and sauce over hot cooked noodles Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 to 6 servings. Prep time: 25 min.