Wined Fish Chunks In Broth
- 2 lb oily fish, such as mackerel
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup good quality dry white wine
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger root, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 napa cabbage leaves
- 2 scallions
- 2 cubes hard beancurd
- 1 tablespoon cooked salad oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Marinating: Have fishmonger clean fish, discard head and fins. Wash fish, cut across fish in 1 1/2″ sections. Mix salt and white wine in bowl. Add fish chunks; rub with marinade; cover bowl; refrigerate for 6 hours. After 2 hours, turn fish to mix with marinade.
2. Preparations: Wash cabbage; slice leaves down middle, then in 2″ sections.Rinse beancurd; cut into 1″ cubes. Wash, trim and shred scallions, greens and all. Peel and mince ginger. Heat salad oil to point of smoking. Remove from heat; reserve.
3. Cooking: Rinse fish chunks, drain. Heat chicken stock, beancurd, ginger and salt in sauce pan. Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for 10 minutes. When you are ready to add fish and cabbage, turn up heat to boil; add fish and cabbage when liquid boils; cover pan. Fish and cabbage are cooked in about 3 to 5 minutes – cabbage leaves will be bright lime green.
Ladle fish, cabbage and beancurd into warm
shallow serving bowl; add soup. Garnish with cooked oil, minced scallion and pepper.