- 4 cups chopped vidalia onions or other sweet onion
- 1 cup very thin slices prosciutto or ham, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) carton egg substitute
- 8 cups cubed French bread (about 9 oz)
- 1 cup shredded gruyere or jarlsberg cheese or swiss cheese, divided
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion & proscuitto, and saute 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown.
- Add water; cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Cool.
- Combine milk, mustard, pepper, and egg substitute in a large bowl and stir with a whisk until
mixture is well blended.
- Stir in onion mixture. Add bread, tossing gently to coat.
- Arrange half of bread mixture in a single layer in an 11×7″ baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese and top with remaining bread mixture.
- Cover strata and chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover strata and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; bake an additional 20 minutes or until set.