Chocolate Mother lode Cake Frosting chocolate cake with chocolate chips and chocolate fudge frosting.
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 3/4 cups flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 cups chocolate chips
Chocolate Mother lode Frosting:
- 1 lb fine-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease and flour six 8-inch round cake pans; place ½ cup chocolate chips in each cake pan, spreading evenly; set aside.
3. In large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, butter, oil, cocoa powder, buttermilk and vanilla; blend well.
4. On waxed paper, sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt; gradually add to wet ingredients in the bowl, mixing well after each addition. Mix in boiling water.
5. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
6. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire racks before removing. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
7. Prepare frosting: Chop the chocolate finely and set aside.
8. Place cream, sugar and corn syrup in 1 ½ – 2-quart heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until the sugar is dissolved. Remove
pan from heat and add chocolate continuing to whisk until the chocolate has melted. Add butter and continue to whisk until butter has melted.
9. Transfer frosting to a bowl and allow to cool, stirring occasionally. This mixture may have to be refrigerated to get it to a spreadable consistency depending on the type of chocolate used.
10. Fill layers and frost cake with Chocolate Mother lode Frosting.
Makes 1 cake.