- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 1 lb carrots, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 4 parsnips, cut into 1/2″ slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBS snipped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 TBS quick cooking tapioca
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 14 1/2 oz can beef broth
- 1 12 oz can beer
In a 5 or 6 quart crockpot, place onions, carrots, parsnips, garlic, bay leaves, dried thyme, and pepper.
Sprinkle with tapioca. Place meat on top of vegetables. Add beef broth and beer.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
To serve, remove bay leaves; if using fresh thyme, stir in now.