Chicken & Oyster Casserole
- 1 large fryer (about 3 lbs.), cut up
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 18 oysters
- 2 tablespoon toasted slivered blanched almonds
1. Reserve back, wings, and neck of chicken for later use. Wash remaining pieces and dry.
2. Dredge with flour mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Brown on all sides in hot fat. Remove to 2-quart casserole.
3. Add boiling water, cover, and bake in preheated moderate oven (350 F.) for 1 hour, or until tender.
4. Add cream, remaining salt and pepper, and the oysters. Cover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
5. Sprinkle with almonds and serve at once with hot baking powder biscuits, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.