- 8 to 10 tart apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and cut into
- 1-inch chunks Juice of
- 2 to 3 oranges (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sugar, or to taste
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the apples and orange juice. Cook, stirring often, until the apples start to soften, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon and cook, uncovered, stirring as needed, until the apples are tender but still chunky, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust the seasonings and serve warm. Or cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Rewarm before serving. Makes 4 to 5 cups.