Cinnamon Buns swirls of light, moist dough loaded with a generous cinnamon filling.
- 2 (.25 oz.) packets- active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided use
- 1 cup 110 degrees F water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 1/3 cups melted butter, divided use
- 2 eggs – slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, divided use
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 6 tablespoons hot water
1. In large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; set aside.
2. In separate bowl, combine 2/3 cup sugar, milk, 2/3 cup butter, eggs and salt; stir to combine; add to yeast mixture with half the flour. Beat until smooth; using a wooden spoon, stir in enough remaining flour until your result is a slightly stiff dough. (It will be harder to stir with the spoon.)
3. Turn dough out onto well-floured surface; knead for 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball.
4. In large bowl, drizzle a bit of cooking (vegetable) oil; place ball in bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or lint-free baking towel and place in warm spot, free from drafts, allowing the dough to rise for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until doubled in size.
5. After dough has doubled in size, punch down and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
6. Transfer to floured surface and roll into a rectangular shape – 15 X 20-inches. Brush ½ cup melted butter over dough.
7. In small bowl, combine 1 ½ cups sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over dough right to the edges of the dough. At this point, if desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts.
8. Roll from the long side, tightly; pinch edge together to seal. Give the roll a gentle rolling to keep a cylinder shape.
9. Using a sharp knife, cut the cylinder into 12 to 15 evenly-spaced slices.
10. Pour ½ cup melted butter into the bottom of 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan, coating well. Sprinkle evenly with 1/3 cup sugar. Place cut rolls, cut-side down, close together in prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap or lint-free towel; return to warm spot free from drafts to rise for 45 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and bake rolls until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
12. Prepare glaze: In small bowl, combine 2/3 cup melted butter, powdered sugar, and extracts. Stir in hot water, one tablespoon at a time, until glaze is at desired consistency.
13. Cool rolls slightly before spreading glaze evenly over tops.
Makes 12 to 15 rolls.