Popcorn Shrimp Creole seasoning and a splash of Tabasco give these delicately golden fried shrimp their wonderful flavor.
1 lb small fresh shrimp (cleaned and shelled)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup flour
1 cup cracker meal
1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
4 tablespoons cornstarch oil, for frying
1. In medium bowl, combine shrimp, garlic powder, brown sugar and Tabasco sauce; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinate.
2. In small bowl, beat eggs and water; set aside.
3. In separate bowl, combine flour, cracker meal, bread crumbs, paprika and Creole seasoning; blend well.
4. Place cornstarch in separate bowl.
5. Heat oil for frying.
6. Working with one at a time, dust shrimp with cornstarch; place in egg wash; shake off excess; roll in cracker mixture. Place on plate. Repeat until all are coated.
7. Fry shrimp in hot oil until golden brown. Shrimp will float to top when cooked through; remove from hot oil and place on paper towels to drain.