- 6 large egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 10 one inch soft black licorice candies
- 1 Tbs. Pernod liqueur
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients, except vanilla, in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
2. Stir frequently until mixture just comes to a boil. In a steady stream, slowly whisk mixture into beaten egg yolks.
3. Return mixture to pan over medium low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it registers 170° F on a candy thermometer (do not boil).
4. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and strain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Discard licorice pieces. Cover and chill in refrigerator. Freeze in an ice cream maker 20-30 minutes until frozen.