Broccoli pasta smothered in broccoli-studded Béchamel sauce.
- 12 oz broccoli florets; steamed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb fresh pasta shells Parmesan; grated
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 quart milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 cubes, mashed
1. Prepare Béchamel sauce: In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Add milk and bouillon; whisk vigorously until mixture barely comes to a boil. Do not boil milk. Reduce heat and allow to simmer 5 minutes, whisking vigorously frequently. Keep warm.
2. Divide prepared broccoli in half; chop one half into ¼-inch pieces; set aside.
3. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat; add olive oil and heat; add all the broccoli, garlic, green onions and mushrooms; cook; stir constantly for 2 minutes or until mushrooms begin to turn golden.
4. Add broccoli mixture and parsley to warm sauce; stir well to blend.
5. Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente (to the bite); drain; do not rinse; transfer to serving platter. Pour sauce over and top with Parmesan. Serve hot.