For a pretty presentation, save the pastry srcaps and cut them into favorite shapes. Place on top of dumpling before baking.
Pastry for Two-Crust Pie (below)
- 6 eating apples (each about 3 inches in diameter), peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons stick margarine or butter*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry as directed- except roll two-thirds of the pastry into 14-inch square; cut into 4 squares. Roll remaining pastry into rectangle, 14×7; cut into 2 squares. Place apple on each square.
2. Mix rasins and nuts. Fill each apple with raisin mixture. Moisten corners of pastry squares. Bring 2 opposite corners up over apple and pinch together. Repeat with remaining corners and pinch edges of pastry to seal. Place dumplings in ungreased rectangu- lar baking dish, 13x9x2 inches.
3. Heat remaining ingredients to boiling in 2-quart saucepan, stirring occasionally. Boil 3 minutes. Care- fully pour around dumplings. Bake about 40 minutes, spooning syrup over dumplings 2 or 3 times, until crust is golden and apples are tender. Serve warm or cool with ice cream or Sweetened Whipped Cream (below) if desired.