Burgers white Castle is famous for their signature “Slyders”- steam grilled on a bed of onions and served with a pickle on a soft bun.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup water (for beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1 beef bouillon cube or 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup water (for onions)
- 12 dinner rolls (2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ size) dill pickle slices
1. Using food processor, process beef, salt and water to blend well. The meat should look a little pasty.
2. Line a 11 X 13-inch jelly roll pan with plastic wrap. Place beef mixture on plastic wrap and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap and cut into 3 X 3- inch squares on a tray. Using a straw, poke 5 holes (like the 5 dots on a die) in each patty. These are the steam holes. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until partially frozen.
3. Place onions, beef bouillon and ½ cup water in skillet and saute over low heat until onions are clear, adding more water if needed. Set aside.
4. When ready to cook patties, return pan of onions to medium low heat and add just enough water to the onions to cover the bottom of the pan. Add patties; cover with lid.
5. These cook quickly. Turn and cook until done but not dry.6. When done place on roll with pickles; cover to steam slightly or place in the microwave for a few seconds.