Greek Kataifi Fish
- 4 fish fillets (snapper, trout 1 . catfish or tilapia)
- 1 pkg sour cream (8oz)
- 1 pkg yogurt, plain (8oz)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon greek seasoning (cavender’s)
- 3 drop red pepper sauce
- 1/3 pkg kataifi (16oz pkg) (shredded 1 . phyllo dough)
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
1. Rinse fish fillets and pat dry. Combine sour cream, yogurt or buttermilk, Greek seasoning and red pepper sauce. Stir well to combine. Coat fish on all sides with sour cream mixture and set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Kataifi must be thawed enough to separate. Pull off about a third of the shreds and tear into small pieces. Arrange broken kataiff in an even layer on a plate.
3. After fish has marinated, dip each fillet into kataifi shreds on all sides. Pat on to adhere and form an even coating. Set aside. Repeat with each fillet.
4. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons oil. Cook fillets, 2 at at time, until golden on one side. Carefully turn and cook until golden and fish is cooked through. Repeat with remaining fillets, adding remaining oil if needed. Allow about 3 minutes cooking time for 1/4-inch thick fillets.
5. To eliminate most added fat, bake the fish in an oven preheated to 375oF. Place coated fish fillets on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Lightly spray tops of fillets and place in oven for about 5 minutes or until fish turns white and edges of kataiff turn golden.
Makes 4 servings.
analysis: per serving: 333 calories, 9g fat, 390mg sodium, 40mg cholesterol, 24% of calories from fat.