- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup canned refried beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 avocado
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 green onion, white and green parts (thinly sliced on the bias)
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat the tortillas by toasting them one at a time in a dry cast-iron skillet or directly over a gas
flame until lightly toasted; Place on a baking sheet, spread each tortilla with ¼ cup of refried
beans, and cover to keep warm.
- Working in batches as needed, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it is
very hot but not smoking and the foaming has subsided; Crack the eggs directly into the hot
butter and reduce the heat to medium-low or low; Fry the eggs, shaking the pan occasionally to
keep the eggs from sticking; Season the eggs with salt and pepper; Fry to the desired doneness,
about 2 minutes for “sunny-side up,” 3 minutes for medium yolks, and 4 minutes for hard yolks;
Or, once the whites are just opaque, turn the eggs and cook for 30 seconds more for “over easy,”
1 minute more for “over medium,” or 2 minutes more for “over hard.”.
- Top each tortilla with 2 fried eggs and 2 tablespoons of the grated cheese; Slide the tortillas
under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, dice the avocado and toss with the lime juice to prevent the avocado from discoloring.
- Top each serving with 2 tablespoons salsa and 2 tablespoons sour cream; Divide the avocado
among the tortillas; Garnish each tortilla with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 tablespoon green onion