Special Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 med onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 slices Italian bread, crusts discarded, cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 pounds lean ground veal
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups My Favorite Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound dry spaghetti or several Italian hoagies Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish Freshly ground Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about five minutes, taking care not to turn onions brown. Remove mixture to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine the bread and milk. Set aside for about 10 minutes, until all the milk is completely absorbed.
3. Add to the mixing bowl and the sautéed onion and garlic, ground veal, egg, Parmesan, parsley, basil, thyme, salt, sugar, and black pepper.
4. Wetting your hands with cold water, roll about one-eighth of the veal mixture into a large, even meatball and place it on a large plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture, making 8 meatballs in all.