Waffles buttermilk waffles baked until lightly golden and sure to please everyone.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 egg or equivalent of egg substitute
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Whisk well; set aside.
2. In large bowl, using electric mixer, cream sugar, shortening and egg until smooth.
3. With mixer still running, gradually add half and half, buttermilk and vanilla; add dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
4. When ready to serve, preheat waffle iron and grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray; ladle ½ cup batter onto prepared iron and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with favorite syrup, topping or sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.