Chocolate Applesauce Cake
- 2 c Unsifted Unbleached Flour
- 2 tb Cocoa
- 1 1/2 ts Baking Soda
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/2 c Shortening
- 1 1/2 c Sugar
- 2 lg Eggs
- 2 ts Vanilla Extract
- 2 c Unsweetened Applesauce
- 6 oz Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 c Chopped Walnuts
1. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together and set aside. Cream the shortening and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer set on medium speed.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the applesauce to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition, using the mixer set on low speed.
3. Pour the batter into a greased 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 35 minutes or until the cake test done. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.