- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium firm apples
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- maple syrup
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and sugar.set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, bet the egg lightly.
- Add the milk and vanilla and blend.
- peel and core the apples, chop finely (use your food processor) and toss with the lemon juice.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually to the milk mixture, then add the apples, blend.
- Heat an electric skillet to 365.
- Add enough oil to reach 1/4″ deep.Drop the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into the skillet, patting
each fritter down a bit.
- But they will be approximately 2 1/2″ in diameter.
- Fry until golden on on eside.then turn and brown the second side.
- Transfer to a platter and keep warm in the oven while you fry the rest.
- Serve with warmed maple syrup.