Chicken marinated chicken breasts with a nice kick.
- 1 (2 oz.) package dried ancho chiles
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 (6 oz.) chicken breasts salt, to taste
1. Place dry chilies in small bowl, cover with water and refrigerate overnight to soften.
2. Next day: Drain and discard water. Remove seeds from chilies and transfer to food processor.
3. Add remaining ingredients (except chicken) to processor and puree until smooth.
4. Place chicken on platter. Spread mixture over chicken (or other meats that can be used), place in single layer on platter; cover; refrigerate at least one hour or up to 24 hours.
5. When ready to cook, preheat grill to 400 degrees F. If cooking indoors, heat a small amount of oil in heavy skillet over high heat. Salt meat to taste, grill lightly, turning only once. (Four minutes per side for chicken; 8 to 10 minutes per side for a ¾-inch-thick steak). Serve hot.