Crispy Orange Chicken Bowl delicately spiced breaded chicken covered in a spicy-sweet orange glaze and served over almond rice pilaf and a tasty mix of mushrooms, broccoli, red peppers, sugar snap peas and shredded carrots. Topped with toasted almonds and crispy noodles.
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup sugar snap or snow peas
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup orange juice, no pulp
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Almond Rice Pilaf:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup celery
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup crispy chow mein noodles
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
1. Prepare chicken: In bowl, combine egg, salt, pepper and oil; mix well. Set aside.
2. Cut chicken into 2-inch pieces; add to egg mixture; stir well to coat the chicken; set aside.
3. In separate bowl, combine cornstarch and flour; mix well. Add chicken; stir to coat each piece evenly.
4. Heat ½-inch oil in wok or heavy skillet over high heat (to temperature of 375 degrees F.). Carefully add chicken in small batches and fry 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. (Do not overcook.) Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. For a healthier version, instead of frying, place the breaded chicken strips on a baking sheet and place in a 375 degrees F oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly browned.
5. Prepare rice pilaf: Heat butter, saute onions and celery until tender — do not brown. Add rice and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon; do not brown — just until the rice turns opaque. Add chicken broth, salt and parsley; bring to boil; cover; reduce heat to low; cook without stirring 12 to 15 minutes or until all the chicken broth has been absorbed. Stir in almonds.
6. Meanwhile, steam vegetables until crisp-tender.
7. Prepare glaze: In skillet used for frying chicken, remove all but 2 tablespoons of the oil and reduce heat to medium. Saute garlic (if the oil is too hot your garlic will burn and have a bitter taste); add remaining ingredients; bring to boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer to thicken to desired consistency.
8. To serve, toss chicken and vegetables in glaze and serve over a bed of rice pilaf; top with slivered almonds and crispy noodles.