Coconut Shrimp battered, rolled in coconut and deep fried shrimp served with a sweet-and-sour sauce.
- 1 1/2 lb large raw shrimp
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 cups short shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup Grey Poupon Mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3-4 drops Tabasco sauce
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in deep fryer or electric skillet to 350 degrees F.
3. Prepare dipping sauce: Combine marmalade, mustard, honey and Tabasco sauce; mix well; cover and refrigerate.
4. Peel and devein shrimp; wash well; dry on paper towels; set aside.
5. In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients for batter; whisk well to blend. Add 2 tablespoons oil and ice water; whisk well to blend.
6. Place coconut in shallow dish. Dip shrimp in batter; allow excess to drain off; roll in coconut; fry in hot oil until lightly browned; about 4 minutes. Remove from hot oil and transfer to baking pan; place in preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes to finish cooking.
7. Serve with dipping sauce.