- 12 oz cholesterol free spaghetti or linguine (or 3/4 of a 16-oz package)
- 1/2 small bunch of broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups) Vegetable spray or broth, to sauté vegetables
- 12 oz mushrooms, each cut in half
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, cut into matchstick-thin sticks
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 8 oz evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken flavor vegetable cube bouillon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-size tomato, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mozzarella cheese, grated or shredded
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1. In a large saucepan, cook pasta as directed on label; drain and return to saucepan; keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan over high heat in 1″ of boiling water, add broccoli pieces, return to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 2-3 minutes, stirring once or twice, until tender-crisp; drain.
3. Put a 12″ skillet over high heat; when hot, add broth, garlic, onion and carrot; stir frequently, until golden and tender-crisp. Add red pepper and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender.
4. In 2-cup measuring cup, mix skim milk, fat-free broth, cornstarch and salt. Blend well with a fork, until all the lumps are dissolved.
5. Stir the milk mixture into the vegetable mixture in skillet. Over high heat, bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Add tomato, cheese, parsley, broccoli and pasta, tossing to coat all well with sauce; heat through.
Makes 6 main-dish servings.