- 4 large hot Italian Sausages
- 4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne Pizza dough Marinara sauce for dipping
1. When dough is ready, preheat oven to 500 degrees F and oil a large baking sheet.
2. Fry sausages until done and slice into 1/4-inch rounds. Place in a large bowl and add cheese, mushrooms, garlic and cayenne. Toss well.
3. Cut dough into 8 rounds and roll out each into 6-inch circles. Share the wealth of filling with each round, moisten edges with water, fold over, press lightly and seal/crimp.
4. Place on sheet and lightly oil tops of calzone-sometimes I dust with parmesan cheese. Bake for about 12 minutes.
5. Serve hot with warmed marinara sauce. Optional-olives and thinly sliced onions or use bacon and ham in place of sausages