Waldorf Salad the traditional apple, walnut and chopped celery salad served on a bed of greens is updated with a yogurt and mayonnaise citrus dressing.
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard pinch of dry mustard juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 to 6 tart apples, peeled, cored, and diced (2 cups)
- 1 to 2 cups finely diced inner ribs celery (white part only), leaves reserved salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches tender greens, such as arugula, baby kale, or pepper cress, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes, until aromatic and lightly toasted. Let cool.
3. In large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, both mustards, and the lemon juice. Fold in the apples and diced celery. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In large bowl, place the salad greens. Add the olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, and toss well. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Spoon the apple mixture onto the greens and sprinkle with the toasted walnuts and garnish with reserved celery leaves.