- 1 1/4 cups Dry black beans or
- 3 cups Black beans — cooked
- 2 Red bell peppers
- 2 Yellow bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 large Garlic clove — minced
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- Salt and pepper — to taste
- 1/3 cup Fresh basil — chopped
- 4 Scallions — chopped (garnish)
Half the bell peppers lengthwise, removing seeds and stems.
If using dry beans, rinse well, drain, and add water to cover by 3″.
Let soak overnight. Drain and rinse soaked beans, discarding water.
Add fresh water to cover by 3″. Bring to boil, then loosely cover pot
and simmer for about one hour, until tender but not mushy; season to
taste with salt.
Preheat oven to 450 F. Place cut peppers on broiling pan, 3″ from
heat. Turn frequently until skins are blackened. Cool.
Remove skins, and cut into 1″ squares. Combine in serving bowl with beans.
Combine dressing ingredients thoroughly; toss with beans and peppers.
Garnish with scallions.