- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 head savoy cabbage
- 1 carrot — peeled, grated
- 1 red bell pepper — roasted
- 1 celery stalk — diced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- salt — to taste
- black pepper — to taste
- 1. Prepare vegetables.
a. Cabbage: Trim off outer leaves and remove the stem. Cut into
half from top to bottom (through the stem end) and cut each half into
b. Celery: Peel and dice finely.
c. Red pepper: roast, remove seeds and stem then dice.
d. Carrot: Peel and grate.
2. Cook bacon until crisp. Drain well and reserve the grease. Set
aside to cool.
3. Place the cabbage in a large bowl and toss with the carrot,
bell pepper and celery.
Crumble the bacon slices and add to the mixture. Set aside.
4. Dressing: Combine 1/4 cup of the bacon fat, sugar, vinegar and
sour cream. Season with pepper and salt.
Use a wire whisk to mix until smooth.
5. Toss dressing with cabbage mixture. Serve immediately or
refrigerate up to 24 hours.
Let stand 30 minutes before serving if it has been refrigerated.