- 1 qt Fresh or frozen (loose-pack) blackberries
- 1 c Plus 1 tablespoon sugar,
- 1 Divided 3l4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 ts Lemon extract
- 1 1/2 c All-purpose flour
- 2 ts Baking powder
- 1/4 ts Ground nutmeg
- 2/3 c Milk Cream or whipped cream, optional
1. In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon extract. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg and remaining sugar and salt.
3. Add milk; stir just until mixed. (Dough will be very thick.) Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto hot blackberry mixture cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Spoon in-to serving dishes.
4. Serve with cream or whipped cream if desired.