CHOCOLATE version 1
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups table cream (18% milk fat)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Beat egg yolks lightly. Beat in sugar. Heat the cream/milk on the stove.
2. As it’s heating, beat in cocoa powder.
3. Heat cream/milk/cocoa mix until steaming. Stir into egg/sugar mix.
4. Add vanilla extract. Cool. Freeze in ice cream maker.
Notes: I use Dutch processed cocoa (instead of American processed), but I’m not sure how much difference it makes. I’ve tried using a higher milk fat content, but then the mix takes on the consistency of pudding when cooled, and doesn’t freeze hard enough in ice cream maker.