These walnuts are a special treat for Christmas, and are well worth the time it takes to make them.
- 1 pound walnut halves
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread nuts in a single layer over a baking sheet.
2. Roast for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, or until the nuts start to turn brown and the smell of roasting nuts fills the kitchen.
3. Stir together sugar, cinnamon, salt, and milk in a medium saucepan. Cook over mediumhigh heat for 8 minutes, or until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage of 236 degrees F (113 degrees C). Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla immediately.
4. Add walnuts to sugar syrup, and stir to coat well. Spoon nuts onto waxed paper, and immediately separate nuts with a fork. Cool, and store in airtight containers.
Original recipe yield: 1 pound.