Filled Molasses Cookies
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups pastry flour For Filling: (directions below)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package dates
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
1. Cream the sugar and shortening together then add molasses and vanilla.
2. Dissolve the soda in hot water and add alternately with flour and salt. Roll thin.
3. Cut with cookie cutter and spread filling on one cookie and put another cookie on top then press edges together.
4. Bake in a moderate oven (350 – 375) till cookies look golden brown. Filling:
5. Mix the water, sugar, Dates, and Lemon Extract and cook over ow heat until thick and cool.