- 1 french bread,
- 12 long
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 pint shucked oysters, drained
- 1 tabasco sauce
- 1 hot heavy cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425 oF. Cut off the top of the bread lengthwise, scoop out most of the bread of the bottom half, leaving a shell about 3/4″ thick. Brush the inside of the bottom and the cut side of the top with melted butter.
2. Put the loaf and “lid,” cut sides up, on an ungreased baking sheet, bake until toasted golden brown, about 20 minutes (the lid will be done first; check that it does not overcook). Meanwhile, saut, the oysters in hot butter until plump.
3. Add salt, pepper, a dash of Tabasco, and, if desired, a little hot cream.Fill the loaf with the hot fried oysters and put the lid on top. Heat for 10 minutes or until ready to serve. Cut in thick slices if the loaf is long.
NOTE: Individual rolls can also be used: allow about 3 oysters for each one. The amount of oysters required for this recipe varies according to the size of the oysters and the size of the loaf of bread.In any case, the bread “basket” should be filled to the top with oysters.