- 1/2 c butter
- 1 1/2 c white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 c water
- 1 c drained and chopped sauerkraut
- 16 ozs semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 2 3/4 c confectioners’ sugar
- 1 T vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 13×9 inch cake pan. In a large mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup butter or margarine and sugar until light. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cocoa powder.
2. Add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating after each addition. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cake cool in pan.
3. Frost with Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting. Cut into squares to serve. To Make Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting: Melt the semi-sweet chocolate pieces and 4 T butter or margarine over low heat.
4. Remove from heat. Blend in the sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Gradually add sifted confectioners’ sugar to make spreading consistency. Beat well. Spread over cooled cake.