- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced celery Pepper
- 6 pita breads
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1. Sauté sausage in large skillet until browned.
2. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons fat and add onion, garlic, mushrooms, green pepper and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender and sausage is done. Season to taste with pepper.
3. Cut pita breads in halves crosswise. Open pockets and stuff with sausage filling. Sprinkle filling with cheese. Fit sandwiches snugly upright in baking pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Serve at once.
NOTE: Instead of sausage, use diced cooked chicken, turkey, shellfish, or any leftover cooked
meat and sauté in 2 tablespoons of oil instead of sausage fat.