Chocolate Caramel Shortbread
- 1 1/2 c Butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 c Sifted icing sugar
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 1 1/4 c All purpose flour
- 1 cn Sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tb Corn syrup
- 1 ts Vanilla
- 3 Squares semi sweet chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large mixer bowl, beat 1 cup butter, sugar and salt until fluffy. Add flour, mix well.
2. With floured finger, press evenly into greased 9 inch square pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Cool slightly. In 2 quart glass measure, with handle,in microwave oven, melt remaining 1/2 cup butter on high. for 1 minutes. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 6-8 minutes, stirring after each minute, or until mixture turns a light caramel color. Stir in vanilla. Spread over warm shortbread.
4. Drizzle with chocolate. Chill until firm. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 bars.