- 1 1/2 pounds hamburger
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped (I use more)
- 1 package taco mix
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 large, ripe tomato, roasted, then peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lard or vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken breast, cooked skinned, boned and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Shape into six patties. Grill. When almost done, add a slice of cheese on top of each patty and continue grilling until it just begins to melt. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, and salsa. I also serve guacamole.
2. Combine tomato, onion and garlic in a blender and process until very smooth. Heat the lard or oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. When quite hot, add the purée and stir constantly until it is thick and reduced, about 4 minutes. Stir in the chicken, remove from the heat and season with salt.
3. To make tacos, quick-fry 12 corn tortillas to soften them. Drain well on paper towels. Place 2 tablespoons of filling across each tortilla, roll up and secure with wooden picks. Cover with plastic wrap.
4. Add more oil to what is in the skillet and heat to medium-high heat. When quite hot, place 6 tacos in the oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until all sides are lightly browned and crispy, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a slow oven while frying the remainder.
5. Serve tacos over a bed of shredded lettuce, and drizzle with crema. Dollop guacamole down the center and sprinkle with grated cheese.