- 4 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 ounces sliced Canadian-style bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil OR 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored; stir in Canadian-style bacon, cheese, half of the basil, and pepper.
- Fold yolk mixture into egg whites.
- In a 10-inch skillet with oven-proof handle, heat 2 teaspoons of the butter over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles.
- Spoon egg mixture into skillet, gently smoothing surface.
- Reduce heat to low; cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the bottom is golden.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in skillet cook mushrooms and green pepper in the remaining hot butter over medium
heat 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the remaining basil and tomato; cook 5 minutes or till liquid is
reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Loosen sides of omelet with spatula.
- Make a shallow cut across omelet, cutting slightly off-center.
- Spoon filling over larger half.
- Tip skillet and fold the smaller portion of omelet over larger half.
- Slip omelet onto a warm serving platter.
- Serve immediately.